Murray State University
200 Pogue Library
Murray, Kentucky 42071
FAX (270) 809-6153
Collection Title: Photograph Collection
Series Number: RG035-12-24
Department: Murray State Training School
Processed and Cataloged by: Processed by Tara Marcum in September 2012
Date Listed: September 14, 2012
Date Span: 1942-1956
Size of Collection: 0.5 linear feet
Number of Boxes: 1 legal size document cases
Type of Material: Photographic prints
Condition of Material: Good
Arrangement: Chronological arrangement
Historical Information: The Murray State Training was established as a student teaching center for the Murray State Normal School (presently Murray State University) in the summer of 1924 at Murray High School. A building to house the program was completed in 1928. It was also known as the Laboratory School and later the University School. The training school closed in 1973. Lillian Lowry taught English and French at the Training School during the 1940s and 1950s.
Scope and Content: Collections consists of photographic prints acquired and retained by Lillian Lowry relating to the Murray State Training School on the Murray State College (presently Murray State University) campus from 1942 to 1956. The photographic images contain events, activities, group pictures of faculty and staff, athletic teams, clubs and other organizations affiliated with the school. Included with the collection are two of Lowry’s address books from 1930s to the 1960s.
Subject Headings / Descriptors:
Murray State Training School – History.
Murray State Training School – Pictorial works.
Murray State University – History.
Lowry, Lillian, d. 1976