Murray State University
200 Pogue Library
Murray, Kentucky 42071
FAX (270) 809-6153
Collection Title: Ordway Hall Brick
Series Number: 019-14-01
Department: Alumni Affairs
Processed and Cataloged by: Processed by Dieter C. Ullrich in February 2014
Date Listed: February 4, 2014
Date Span: 1931
Size of Collection: 0.5 linear feet
Number of Boxes: 1 special sized box
Type of Material: Brick
Condition of Material: Good
Arrangement: Organized by format of material
Historical Information: Ordway Hall was constructed from the summer of 1930 to the winter of 1931. The building was first occupied as a men’s dormitory on February 1, 1931. It was named Ordway Hall on May 12, 1943 for G. P. Ordway, a member of the Board of Regents. During the Second World War it served a women’s dormitory as trainees from the United State Navy were boarded at Wells Hall, the women’s dorm. It was last used as a dormitory in 1972. Afterwards it served as office space for several different academic and service oriented programs and offices. The building was razed in June of 2013.
Scope and Content: Collection consists of a single brick from the former women's dormitory, Ordway Hall, and a certificate of authenticity. Alumni Affairs retained 1,000 bricks from the razed building as part of a donation drive.
Subject Headings / Descriptors:
Murray State University. Ordway Hall.