Murray State University
200 Pogue Library
Murray, Kentucky 42071
FAX (270) 809-6153
Collection Title: University Communications, 1950-2007
Series Number: RG004-13-29
Processed and Cataloged by: Processed by Chris Lossie
Date Span: 1950-2007
Size of Collection: 24 linear feet
Number of Boxes: 24 record size boxes
Type of Material: Photographs, press releases, newspaper clippings, meeting minutes, memos
Condition of Material: Excellent
Arrangement: Arranged alphabetically
Biographical / Historical Information: The early origins of University Communications Office began in 1927 with the establishment of the Department of Journalism which handled school publicity. In 1939, a Public Relations Office was created to promote events on campus. During the fall of 1965a Department of Communications was authorized by the University’s Board of Regents and the following year a Public Information Office was developed to document and distribute newsworthy items to regional and national news agencies. From 1974 to 1985, it was known as the Information and Public Services Office and from 1986 to the late 1990s as the Information Services Office. University Communications currently is part of the Institutional Advancement Office.
Scope and Content: Collection consists of materials created by University Communications, including press releases, brochures, photographs.