Access Services Fast Facts
What we do for you:
- Access Services, formerly Interlibrary Loan (ILL), is a service for Murray State University faculty, staff and students.
- Access Services helps you obtain books, periodical articles, and other media that are not available at the MSU University Libraries.
- On average, articles delivered via electronic delivery takes 1-3 days to arrive. Book & media in hard copy takes 6-12 days to arrive.
- Patrons will only be charged a fee if items cannot be borrowed free. (Please indicate the amount you are willing to pay when requesting the item on ILLiad)
- Patrons will be notified by email that material has arrived for them.
Using ILLiad to get what you need:
- First, register within the ILLiad system. Go to the ILLiad homepage and complete the one-time “First Time User” profile information form.
- After completing the form, you will be able to request materials two different ways -- first, directly from library databases by using the service, and secondly, by completing a blank request form on your ILLiad page. Fill out one request form per request and click “Submit Request.”
- ILLiad allows you to track your material from time submitted to time received along with past request information.
- ILLiad also allows you to renew materials online:
- Logon to ILLiad
- Select an item to renew by clicking on the transaction number under the “Checked Out Items” tab
- Click the “Request Renewal” button, if the “Request Renewal” button is not available renewal will not be allowed
How we Deliver Items to You:
- Main Campus Faculty/Staff, Undergraduate or Graduate Students -- All hardcopy formats will be held for you at the Access Services office in Waterfield Library
- Extended Campus - All hardcopy formats will be mailed to your designated campus for pick-up and return
- Faculty / Staff / Students -- Electronic Delivery - Most all articles will arrive via electronic delivery through your ILLiad account.
Access Services Policies
- Access Services is a service provided to the patrons of a specific library, when that library participates in the service and abides by the service’s regulations. This means that public library users must ask for assistance at their public library. The MSU Library can only serve its user-group.
- Murray State University faculty, retired faculty, staff and currently enrolled students are allowed to use Access Services
- Non-university visitors to the MSU Library can inquire at the Information Desk for advice on whom to contact in their home district.
- There is no limit to the amount of requests that one patron may have at one time.
- Access Services material that is 21 days overdue will be turned into the Bursar’s office at a rate of $75.00 OR the cost of the replacement, whichever is higher.
- A lending library reserves the right to recall any materials it has lent to our institution, no matter when the due date.
- When a lending library charges a lending fee the patron has until the due date of the material to pay the fee. If the patron has not paid the fee by the due date, the material will be sent back to the lending library and the charges will be sent to the Bursar’s office for collection.
- Renewals for materials will not be granted if the due date of the material has passed. Materials are only allowed one renewal per request.