Collection Title: Robert Humphreys Papers
Processed and Cataloged by: Dieter C. Ullrich.
Date Listed: 1984. No exact date listed. Reprocessed on March 31, 2010.
Size of Collection: 0.5 linear feet.
Number of Boxes: 1 legal half size document case and 1 letter half size document case.
Type of Material: Scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, photographs and ephemera.
Condition of Material: Good.
Arrangement: Chronological arrangement.
Biographical / Historical Information: Robert Humphreys was born at Clinton, Kentucky on August 20, 1893. He attended public schools in Graves County and graduated from Marvin College in 1914. He briefly attended the University of Wisconsin before becoming a registered pharmacist. He owned and operated retail drug stores in Mayfield and Frankfort. He was a member of the Kentucky State Legislature (1920-1921, 1932-1934), presided as clerk of the Kentucky State Senate (1936, 1940-1943) and served as Commissioner of Highways (1936-1940). He briefly served as a United States Senator for five months and was a member of the Central Executive Committee of the Kentucky Democratic Party for over 40 years. Governor A. B. “Happy” Chandler gave him the title of “Mr. Democrat”. He served in the United States Army in 1917 and 1918 and from 1943 to 1945. He passed away in Frankfort on December 31, 1977.
Scope and Content: Collection consists of biographical information, newspaper clippings and photographs related to the activities of former Kentucky State legislator, highway commissioner and Democrat Party leader Robert Humphreys of Mayfield from 1937 to 1978. The collection also contains some correspondence, military service and personnel records, certificates and awards, campaign materials and ephemera. The photograph collection includes images of Humphreys during the First and Second World War in Europe, prominent national and state politicians and the flood of Hayward, Wisconsin in 1941.
Subject Headings / Descriptors:
Humphreys, Robert, 1897-1977
Kentucky – Politics and government.
Senators – United States – Kentucky.
Research Notes: Collection was reprocessed and cataloged on March 31, 2010. The collection was a gift of Mrs. Robert Humphreys.
1. Robert Humphreys Papers Biographical Information
2. Robert Humphreys Papers Certificates and Awards
3. Robert Humphreys Papers Correspondence 1955-1967
4. Robert Humphreys Papers Democratic Woman's Journal of Kentucky- Articles and
5. Robert Humphreys Papers Ephemera
6. Robert Humphreys Papers Military Records
7. Robert Humphreys Papers Personnel Papers
8. Robert Humphreys Papers Newspaper Clippings 1937-1978
9. Robert Humphreys Papers Newpaper Clippings- Photocopies 1937-1978
1. Robert Humphreys Papers Photographs- Events 1930s-1960s
2. Robert Humphreys Papers Photographs- Haywood, Wisconsin Fishing Trips
3. Robert Humphreys Papers Photographs- Haywood, Wisconsin Flood 
4. Robert Humphreys Papers Photographs- National Political Leaders 1950s-1960s
5. Robert Humphreys Papers Photographs- Portraits
6. Robert Humphreys Papers Photographs- World War II 1942-1945
7. Robert Humphreys Papers Photographs- Unidentified
8. Robert Humphreys Papers Postcards- Shrivenham, England 1943-1944
9. Robert Humphreys Papers Photographs- Humphreys with State Politicians 1950s- 1960s